HOMEMADE SPANISH RICE


Easy Spanish Rice

How to Make Spanish Rice


You see, I was always cooking my Spanish Rice according to a set recipe, but I never took into account that different varieties/brands of white rice may have cooking directions that call for varying amounts of water and a whole range of cooking times. So it finally occurred to me that, instead of cooking my rice with a certain amount of liquid for a set amount of time each go-round, it might make more sense to pay attention to the directions on the back of the bag of rice.

That’s right, y’all…this Spanish Rice is basically like cooking a regular ol’ pot of rice according to the package directions. But instead of just cooking the rice in water with a bit of salt and possibly butter, you’re going to make this Mexican-inspired version by cooking the rice in a combo of chicken broth and tomato sauce. And instead of just flavoring with salt, you’re going to add chili powder, cumin, garlic salt, and dried oregano. But the key is you’re going to use the total amount of liquid dictated by the particular brand of white rice that you’re using, and you’re also going to follow its specified cooking time!

I like to keep my chicken broth to tomato sauce ratio at about 50/50, leaning towards slightly more chicken broth/slightly less tomato sauce depending on my measurements. So if my bag of rice called for 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water, I would use 1 cup of rice, 1 cup of chicken broth, and 1 cup of tomato sauce. The brand of rice that I have in my pantry right now calls for 1 cup of rice to 1 3/4 cups of water. So to make today’s Spanish Rice, I used 1 cup of rice, 1 cup of water, and 3/4 cup of tomato sauce. Does that make sense?

The same goes for cooking time. I initially toast my rice in oil for a few minutes, but then I just follow the directions on the bag of rice, which today dictated simmering for 20 minutes or so. The final result? Perfectly cooked rice every time!

Comments